This Apprenticeship covers a range of occupations within hospitality and catering, one of the largest industries in the country. Hospitality and catering covers work in restaurants, hotels, cafés, pubs, and contract caterers – it also supplies other industries with food and drink. Schools, colleges, hospitals and large businesses nearly always have canteens and catering staff, too.
Apprentices will have the choice of one of six career paths within the industry. If you’re interested in service, you could train as waiting staff and learn how to serve customers, or train in drinks service – one of the fastest growing sub-sectors.
Apprentices interested in cookery could either train as a chef in a restaurant, or learn how to cook on a large scale for institutions like the NHS or armed forces.
Apprentices more interested in the hospitality side of the sector could work in a hotel reception area; learn to run a B&B or youth hostel; or keep a hotel crisp and clean.Who is it for?
This NVQ is designed for people who are involved in a range of hospitality and catering services.Course content
Employers can choose units for their employees that work in the front office, housekeeping, serving food and drink, food preparation and cooking. All candidates must complete two mandatory units and seven optional units chosen from the front office, housekeeping, food and drink service, food preparation and cooking, and generic optional unit routes i.e. maintain and deal with payments.Mandatory Units
All candidates must complete the following units:
Optional route A
- Maintain a safe, hygienic and secure working environment
- Give customers a positive impression of yourself and your organization
– Front officeOptional route B
– HousekeepingOptional route C
- Food and drink serviceOptional route D
– Food preparation and CookingOptional route E
– Generic optional unitsProgression opportunities
* Hospitality supervision NVQ Level 3 * for employees that wish to progress towards becoming a; Events and conference coordinator, Receptionist, Waiter/waitress or of a supervisory position in Hospitality and catering.